The intent and purpose of the Florida Sheep, Wool, and Herding Dog Festival, sponsored by the Meat Sheep Alliance of Florida, Open Sheep Show is to provide for a means to promote the sheep industry in Florida and the Southeastern United States. Florida has a unique opportunity for a market that is for out-of-season breeding and for natural colored breeds, known as niche markets. The Meat Sheep Alliance of Florida is a forerunner in meeting the needs of the diverse cultural markets of Florida. The Florida Sheep, Wool and Herding Dog Festival provides marketing opportunities by highlighting the Florida Heritage Breeds of sheep that thrive in Florida’s tropical climate.
FIELD COMMERCIAL CLASSES (SEE SATURDAY SHOW SCHEDULE FOR EVENT TIMES)
- Hair Breed Division (Up to 5 sheep per pen)
- Wool Breed Division (Up to 5 sheep per pen)
- These are pens of 3 to 5 sheep from a producer’s farm that are not “show” sheep.
- These sheep are judged based on a scorecard system.
- Judges are producers who attend the workshop to learn to use the scorecard system.